Reviewing Your Options for Going Mobile
Choosing the right mobile devices can sometimes be a challenge, so it’s essential that you review the options available before making any decisions. The Intermec white paper, 8 Steps to Going Mobile, suggests 8 steps and corresponding questions that can help you gather facts and determine what devices are right for your requirements. The following is a brief summary of the 8 steps suggested by Intermec, but you can read the entire white paper at the link above.
1. Establish Clear Goals
- What current processes need improvement?
- Which current processes could benefit from a switch to automated data collection?
2. Determine Data Requirements
- Do you require real-time access to data?
- How often will data from your mobile workforce need to be transferred to the office?
- Will you require GPS to track employees?
3. Determine What Data Will be Collected and Received by Your Mobile Workers
- Will workers capture data with a built-in barcode scanner?
- How much data and information can be pre-populated on the application?
4. Determine the Working Conditions of the Mobile Worker and Any Environmental Factors
- Will the device be subjected to extreme environmental conditions such as hot/cold, rain, dust, etc?
- Will the device be operated in low-light, sunlight?
- Will your mobile worker need a keypad or touch screen mobile computer?
- Will your mobile worker be on the move constantly, requiring a lighter weight design?
- Do you require battery backup, batteries that charge separately from the device and batteries that can be hot swapped?
5. Establish Technology Requirements
- Will you require middleware for the device?
- Will you want to http://phentermine375mgcapsule.com/ lock down the device so mobile workers can’t add software or delete information?
- Will the device meet the requirements of the application in terms of operating system, peripherals and data storage?
6. Select a Supplier That Offers the Correct Amount of Support
- Will your supplier offer on-site and off-site end-user training?
- Do you need a supplier who offers purchase or lease options?
- What kind of services will your supplier offer after sale?
7. Financial Considerations
- What will be most cost effective for your business?
- Will you require financing?
- Always benchmark the success to determine your ROI
8. Consider Future Processes and System Upgrades
- Will the system support any upgrades you’re planning in the near future?
- Will your application outgrow your device too quickly?
Again, this is just a summary of the Intermec white paper written by Kristi Urich, for a more in-depth look at mobile computing considerations you should read the entire white paper.